Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Self Flattery…

Psalm 36:1-4

How we must be constantly on guard against the quiet habit of flattering ourselves! It is so frequently difficult to detect and easy to fall into. I have caught myself wanting to make a comment in a group to prove I am intelligent or ‘spiritually wise’. Even in this writing I have to frequently check the motives of my heart. Is it my desire to gain renown as a result of this, or simply to share that which the Lord has laid upon my heart?

If I am in reverence of God, I will check my selfish attitudes. He will convict me when my heart begins to wander toward insincerity. If I continue along the path of self flattery I will eventually develop a blind spot toward my sin, ignoring the sin in my life. John warns us against ‘boasting of what we have or do’ (1 John 2:16). This is self flattery.

How subtle are the clues that we have fallen into this pattern! We let slip something under the guise of a “prayer request” so we can share some bit of information with pride. Perhaps we find ourselves singing more loudly than others so we can prove our voice is superior. Jealousy of the gifting of others is frequently a sign that we harbor too high an opinion of ourselves. This reveals itself in the attitude that says, “I should be doing that – I can do it better”.

If any of these subtle signs of self flattery have crept into our lives, we need to repent of them and turn back to right ways. We need to stop plotting this evil and reject what is wrong (Psalm 36:4). Again – fear of the Lord is the beginning of our return to right paths.

Lord – Examine me and reveal to me any sinfulness in my heart. Let me see myself as others see me. Help me to leave room for others to recognize and acknowledge your gifting in my life without my having to express it. And when they do, Lord, let me give all the glory to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment