Thursday, May 03, 2007

Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5:19 & 20

I really felt led to write something about music this week because I have been leading song worship at my local church and many, many things go through my head each week as I attempt to inspire people to worship through music. It is the most beautiful experience to lead song worship, and perhaps one of the most frustrating experiences to prepare for it.

Here is where the difficulty lies; we all have a line drawn in the sand as far as music is concerned. For some of us, if it ain't in the Hymnal, it ain't worship music! To directly quote one of my own friends , "I have no use for contemporary worship music." Then there are those who were brought into the church when early praise choruses were being written and have a line drawn shortly after that. I won't lie, I have my own line. I enjoy some of the praise songs that were popular in the late 80's when I gave my life to Christ. I also enjoy some of the modern worship songs that we do now. But some of the stuff that young folks listen to and sing currently is lost on me.

I will admit though that that is human prejudice. Do I prefer guitar-based praise music? Absolutely - it's what I am comfortable with. But I can also understand those who believe the only true instrument of worship is the piano because that is what they are comfortable with. What about the crowd that is comfortable with electric guitars and keyboards? I can't say that it's my bag, but I'm not the one that they are singing for - and that's what we all need to remember. WE are the ones who draw the lines, not God.

Imagine with me for a moment that King David, with his lyre and harp, is dropped into a Sunday morning service in Vinita, OK in 1912 during the hymn service. He sees and hears a piano for the first time. He finds it to be somewhat loud relative to the instruments he is accustomed to. If he starts to enjoy it for a moment, he catches himself and feels that pang of disloyalty to his tradition - the thought crosses his mind that the emotions he is feeling are inspired by his flesh because of the atmosphere created by the hymns. As such, he remains reserved and refuses to allow abandon to worship through song. He has drawn a line in his heart which he dare not cross - for his own sake. So he misses the opportunity to worship his God through song.

Now turn the tables. David shares a Psalm with the congregation using his harp. They think the Psalm is quaint and cute, but nothing as powerful as their modern hymns. They humor David by listening and perhaps singing along, but they are convinced in their hearts that they cannot worship to this type of 'old-fashioned' music and they abandon tradition. In so doing, they miss out on the opportunity to worship their God through song.

What I am trying to say is that God did not stop His Spirit from writing Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual songs through mankind when the harp became an outmoded instrument. Nor did he draw the line and proclaim the piano is the end-all be-all instrument. Nor is he likely to draw that line at the place where I have exceeded my tolerance of what I consider reverential music. Thankfully, God does not take my prejudices into account when he determines what HE will honor as worship. All the way from David to Chris Tomlin, the Spirit fell fresh on each generation as men were inspired by their relationship with God to write down the words which welled up from within their hearts.

Merriam-Webster defines worship as "extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem". In our case, God is to be the object of our esteem. As you may notice, I make reference to "worship through music" or "song worship" rather than referring to a song service as worship. Let there be no mistake that worship is far more than singing (see above). But when we come to God with spiritual songs do we come to show extravagant respect, admiration and devotion? I don't believe that any one of us, young or old, can answer yes to that question with a clear conscience if we allow our prejudice to dictate what type of music we think can and cannot worship through. It's not about how we sing; it's not about what we sing; it's to whom we sing that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment