Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Jealous Brother


Yesterday I wrote about the prodigal son, the younger of two brothers who deserted his family for a lifestyle of sin for a season.  Upon his return home, his father celebrated as if he had been brought from death to life. Today we will take a look at the prodigal’s older brother.

This is a respectable, dedicated young man. As his brother was out spending his inheritance on his lusts, this young man stayed at home and worked the farm for his father. This day, as he returns from his work, he hears the sounds of celebration:
Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. And he said to him, “Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.” (Luke 15:25-27 ESV)
Of course the older brother was elated at this news. Not. He was angry that his snot-nosed little sinner of a brother was being so warmly welcomed back to the household. How could his father treat this vagabond as if he had been with them, worked beside them, all the time?
His father came out and entreated him, but he answered his father, “Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!” (Luke 15:28-30 ESV)
Why is he angry? He is not really angry with his brother. He is angry with his father. He is angry because one who has not worked to earn the graces of his father is extended more grace than he, the faithful, dependable one. “I have toed the line. I have sweated and toiled and been through miserable hot days and long cold nights for you and this is the thanks I get. You treat this son of yours as if he were my equal!”

I can picture the father looking upon him sadly, with compassion:
And he said to him, “Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.” (Luke 15:31-32 ESV)
He says, “Look son, all that is mine is yours also. You need not work for it. It has been yours all along. I don’t give it to you because of your work for me, but because you are my son! Your brother is my son as well, and I will celebrate that he has come home now and we are together.”

So shall those with one foot in the law always view those who understand the embarrassing love and grace of the Father. There will always be jealousy where there is perceived inequity. All that God gives he gives not as ‘wages’, but as a gift. Receive it and join the celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment