Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Choose for yourselves this day...

“But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15
I am facing something difficult for me right now. We have purchased a new house and are in the process of preparing it to move in. I have no doubt that the Lord directed us to this particular house, as it has everything that we were looking for and the whole purchasing process went very smoothly. The problem I face is not falling in love with the property.

I keep asking myself, “Whom are you going to serve?” I need to remain faithful to my God through this whole process and not become a slave to my desires. My true desire (and prayer every day that I am at the new house working) is that God will use the house as he has planned, for he surely must have a plan. I want this house to be to employed to his glory.

All of this leads me back to where I put my hope. “Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.” (1 Cor 5:1). I know that Paul was speaking specifically about our bodies in that passage, but it seems to be very applicable to my current state of mind.
Lord, let me be a good steward of that to which you have entrusted me. Keep my hope upon heaven above, not those things which seem to bring pleasure here below. You are my only true joy and hope, my peace. You are the rock on which I stand. Let your service never become undesirable to me. What or who else compares with you? Let me make the choice for you daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment